Sunday, February 13, 2011

Catching Up, Part II

Got a few things going on tonight so we'll see how this works out. Tonight will be part blogging, part laundry folding and part following the Grammy Awards. I can't really do three things at once... better drop the laundry part.

Wow, Lady Gaga's got some weird, bony shoulder thing going on... she should probably get that checked out.

Anyway, the past two weeks have been about catching up and getting caught up. First, this ridiculous schedule has definitely caught up with me. The first two weeks weren't easy, but I was ready to go. Week Three the plan caught me and Four wasn't any easier. I finally had to drop some workouts due to time constraints, conflicts and just being plain tired. I ended up missing two bike sessions this week, but I got in the long ride on Sunday which was key.

As I talk to other Ironman finishers about my training almost all of them are surprised that my plan has me starting so early. They're even more surprised to hear the volume that I'm putting in. It went as far as one guy asking, "What plan are you following? The pro training program?"

Who the hell is Muse and is that guy really playing a double-neck guitar? Didn't the band Alabama have one of those too?

He then joked with his friend, "Remember when you did that for your first IM and were burned out a few months later?" This got me thinking that missing a workout or two may not be a bad thing. Secondly, I'm still 7 months out. Missing a few hours here or there won't make or break my race, and it could protect me from overuse injuries early on, which would really sideline me.

Do they still give out awards at this "awards" show? We're confused.


I talked to another friend, and he mentioned that his long swims consisted of two half IM's. As I gain information from more and more sources I'm realizing that I may be a bit ambitious this early on. As a result, I'm feeling more comfortable scaling back some of the distances and trying not to feel too guilty for missing a session here or there.

So while I'm not out getting my planned training in, I'm using that extra time to sleep and eat. I'm going to bed early (some nights I fall asleep a little after John does) so I can get up early. I'm trying to take in about 800-1,000 calories for breakfast, especially on days with morning workouts. I no longer have to make the biggest decision of the day: cheeseburger basket or chicken finger basket -- I get both. I don't try to fill up on junk calories, but sometimes that stuff just hits the spot.

Dear Canada, Please take Justin Bieber back. Leave the gravy fries. Thanks.

It's finally getting brighter out, and I ran in daylight for the first time in months yesterday. It was a good 14 miles with most of the Thursday morning group. Three hours on the bike trainer earlier today made for a good weekend. I start out swimming tomorrow morning, and I think there may even be a true rest day built in to this week. I want to get a good week in, because Joan is gone next weekend and my chance to train will be limited.

Finally, Mumford & Sons, The Avett Brothers and Bob Dylan... now I can go to bed.


Oh, one last note: I'm on Twitter now @larrydurland for you social media types.

No comments:

Post a Comment